Celebrating 30 years of warming homes and hearts.
During the Great Depression of the 1930's, the 32 acres of Prairie House grounds were part of the back nine holes of the Rose Run Golf Course. When the land was sold in 1941, stately walnut trees provided a natural grove for the house constructed by the first owners.
When the Borens bought the property from them in 1977, Sharon knew this also was the perfect setting for a shop where customers would feel relaxed and unhurried. In 1983, she opened Prairie House in the renovated garage. By 1985, the business had outgrown the small space, and that building was expanded. In November of 1992, further expansion was interrupted by a fire which severely damanged the original building. In March 1993, a new building opened and restoration of the first building continued.
There have been changes - on both sides of our familiar white gate. We're pleased to find that customers appreciate Prairie House for the same reasons they did when the gate first opened: